Wednesday, March 2, 2011

March 02, 2011, my FIRST communication with my biological uncle, suggestions for you who still search. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Wednesday March 2, 2011:

Me, today Wednesday March 2, 2011
I just cut my hair this morning.
(click on picture to enlarge)
Today was a stellar day. It started with an e-mail from my mom, Cyndy Taylor, time-stamped 8:48 a.m.
"Good Morning Son, How is everything going?  I've been trying to figure out how we can obtain additional info. for u.  I'm trying to contact a Bobby Kirk, who I believe is your uncle (bro., of your late mo. Linda).  I've just contacted Bobby and he asked me to give u his cell#  (xxx) xxx-xxxx.  Sounds like he's willing to help.  Keep me posted, Mom"
 I text'd the following to the number:
"Hi Mr Bobby Kirk. This is Leland (Kirk) Morrill son of the late Linda Kirk. I left a message.  I'm also on Facebook as Cyndy Taylor's friend."
Bobby Kirk answered back:
"K thnx"
At 12:35p.m. I left a message on his cellphone number providing my email account, and my cell phone number.
At 12:48p.m. Bobby Kirk called me back.

We proceed to have a great conversation. 
I told him I needed specific information about my biological mother Linda Kirk such as birth date, death date. He didn't know these offhand but said that would require a trip to Window Rock Arizona which he would be happy to do.
He said he was in Junior High School in Ganado Arizona when they received the telephone call Linda Kirk had been in an auto accident and was in critical condition at a hospital in Albuquerque, NM. They didn't have transportation or money to take this trip to Albuquerque so no one went. Linda Kirk was buried in Ganado Arizona.  
This confirms my, adopted mother, Gwena Morrill's story where she states:
 "BIA welfare told us your mother was Linda Kirk and she was killed in
an automobile accident.  Your father was unknown."
I then read him what my mom (Gwena Morrill) had written in an email:
"We were told you had a younger brother named Christopher that lived with John Kirk and his wife.  I don't recall her name.  Their son (I can't think of his name, but he was maybe 5 to 8 years older than you)
told me about Christopher.  I was taking him home from (LDS/Mormon) seminary in the seminary van.  I had you and Virginia (Bitsui-Morrill) with me.  You would have been 3 or 4.  I was thinking he was 10, but can't remember for sure.  He asked me if you were Leland Kirk.  I said yes.  He then told me your little brother Christopher had lived with them.  He said something like this. 'One night when he went to bed, he was fine.  The next morning he was dead so we moved.'"

Me as a child in the mid-1970's
My Grandma Karen gave me this shirt.
(clink on image to enlarge)
Uncle Bobby then said something to the effect, we wondered what happened to you two.  We then talked later for another few minutes where he relayed I have an Aunt Barbara Kirk and Uncle Earnest Kirk. 
Also he told me Kirk was my mother's maiden name and she had met my father (who he never met or knew his name) in Albuquerque and thinks he was a member of another tribe San Filipe or San Fidel in the Albuquerque area. Also that our grandmothers name is Alice Burke Kirk, maiden name Burke. 
The conversation ended with an agreement to talk later tonight.
  
This Facebook Page and my Blog are for this  group, and whoever desires to read it, because it's needed, others will follow me.
I want to tell you of the power of this new age we live in called THE INFORMATION AGE. It has been through Google, Gmail (email), and Facebook that I have been able to find and be able to contact people. 
What I would like everyone out there in WWWland who is affected by The REAL ID ACT of 2005 to know is we all have a resource accessable at almost any Public Library throughout the United States. Even if you do not have a personal computer, internet access at home or on a mobile device (cellphone, Ipad, andriod, Iphone etc) you can go to a library, or community center somewhere and find online access.

Some of the resources I have used:
  1. Navajo Nation and their online directory
  2. Apache County, Arizona County parcel Informatin Search. I searched by last name and within a 100 mile radius of Ganado Arizona, where my late Uncle John Kirk lived with my Aunt Ruth Kirk lives.
  3. Facebook.  I wrote down anyone in the Ganado, Fort Defiance, Window Rock, and Chinle who had my same birth surname KIRK. I also wrote down their friends who had Kirk as a surname. I never contacted them, thinking this might be a last resource  but I was prepared to.
  4. Google search. I spent 100's if not 1,000's of hours sometime 8 hours on a Saturday or Sunday looking for information on the Kirk name in Ganado, Fort Defiance, Window Rock, Chinle.
  5. FRIENDS!!! This one is most important. My friend Sarah May suggested I start a Facebook Page. My friend Rick Bickmore helped set it up for notes and other applications as a co-Administrator. My friend Troy has been my friend for now going on four decades. I have stayed up until the sun came up talking an brainstorming with him throughout the years. KEEP your friends aware of how to move forward. They come up with surprising ideas & how to move forward. My friend Jim Gonzales helped with my DMV fiasco, and through him a door opened to Forest Cutch.
  6. I also was aided by Utah State Senator Gene who told me to call Forrest Cutch, Utah Director if Indian Affairs who told me about the Navajo Nation Vital Statistics. I never knew there was a Navajo Nation Vital statistics. This was because my FRIEND Jim Gonzales was able to initiate conversation with the Senator. Please, if anything  do not be afraid to ask politicians for their help. They can be a valuable resource and can open doors to people who can help you. YOU elected them. THEY are there for YOU.
  7. Gratitude. Gratitude Gratitude. Be grateful and thank each of these people as they help you along the way. They are doing this out of the goodness of their heart and souls. Make sure they know how valuable their input is.


Well, that's it for this entry, I am SOOO waiting for my Uncle Bobby Kirk to call me back tonight. I hope this entry, my blog and this facebook page helps anyone out there. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. There are other people affected by THE REAL ID ACT of 2005. Remember to keep moving, create exposure of your situation, someone will know the next step when you are weary...there is a poem about footprints in the sand. Believe me, I was carried by other kind, giving individuals here in the living and I am sure on the other side who saw my plight and made my journey this far bearable when I did not. Thank you HIGHER POWER! Sending good energy out to those who need it and those who can pass it on to those who need it.

Leland P. Morrill
My mom's paternal clan "The Tangle Clan" and My mom's Maternal Clan "Many Goats Clan" tentatively my father's clan "San Felipe Clan"
(I HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO SAY THAT RIGHT) Sorry no offense intended. I'm just doing a quick reentry into the Navajo Custom.

No comments:

Post a Comment