Tuesday, March 15, 2011

WORST EMAIL OF THE DAY! Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?? Los Angeles Calling Riverside!

by Leland P. Morrill Adopted Native American Citizenship Affected by The REAL ID Act of 2005 on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 3:00pm

Your note has been created.
Re: Boarding School Records for Linda Carolyn Kirk, Navajo Born around 12-17-1943
Inbox
X
 Reply
from Eric Bittner<eric.bittner@nara.gov>

to Lee Morrill <lelandpmorrill@gmail.com>
date Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM
subject Re: Boarding School Records for Linda Carolyn Kirk, Navajo Born around 12-17-1943
mailed-by nara.gov
  2:19 PM (10 minutes ago)
 Dear Mr. Morrill:

Due to staff limitations, we are unable to undertake the research necessary in order to answer inquiries such as yours.  This regional archives does hold a small amount of records created by the Navajo Indian Agency, although the records are primarily administrative in nature, they do include some files for students that attended day schools at the Navajo Agency.  Unfortunately, we do not have any records of births, deaths, or marriages that occurred at the Navajo Agency.  Additional Navajo Agency records are available at our regional archives facility in Riverside, California.

Records of students who attended Indian schools in Oklahoma may be held by our regional archives in Fort Worth, Texas.  They will most likely need to know the name of the school your mother attended in order to conduct a search for her records.  You can reach them by telephone at (817) 551-2051, or by email atftworth.archives@nara.gov.

If you have not already done so, you may want to contact the Navajo Agency to inquire about any records they may have regarding your mother.  You may also want to see if you can locate a birth or death certificate, which should be on file with the state vital statistics office in either Arizona or New Mexico.  Also, newspaper articles or obituaries might provide additional biographical information about your mother.  Microfilm copies of newspapers may be available at public libraries in New Mexico.

I hope this information is of some assistance.

Sincerely,
ERIC BITTNER
Archivist
(303) 407-5743
GREAT.
ran into a funding issue.
GDrecession!
************************ 
HERE IS THE EMAIL I SENT:
************************

>> Lee Morrill <lelandpmorrill@gmail.com> 3/15/2011 8:07 AM >>>

 Dear Sir/Madame:

My name is Leland Pacheco (Kirk) Morrill. I am Navajo and am undocumented. I was adopted out of the Navajo Nation in 1971 after my biological mother died in a auto accident in Albuquerque NM.
I am attempting to get information regarding Linda Carolyn Kirk who attended an Indian Boarding School in Oklahoma most likely in the late 1950's to mid 1960's. Here's what I can provide:

Linda Carolyn Kirk
Born December 17, 1943 Ganado Az
Navajo
Parents John Kirk and Alice Kirk

I'm hoping that information is somewhat accurate. I have reconnected via the internet with some of my biological relatives and that is what we have pieced together. I'm hoping it's enough to generate some information from you.

If you have any information please email, attach as a pdf, or send to:

Leland P. Morrill
Email: lelandpmorrill@gmail.com

My cell phone number is 323-359-6419 should you require any information. I'm really sorry I do not know any more information. This is a result of 22 years of research by me and 40+ for my adopted parents.

Thank you for your time,
Leland P. Morrill

NOTE: NOW WHERE DO  I GO????

Please feel free to send me $$$'s to fund my research...my address is above.
I AM FRUSTRATED NOW!!!

As most of you know The Real ID Act of 2005 prevents an undocumented person, native born or not, from renewing a State issued Drivers License or Identification Card. I was born in Albuquerque NM-Undocumented. The reason for me attempting to get my biological mothers' boarding school student files is to document verbal information ie. social security #, parents,birth, census number, etc.

H.R. 418: REAL ID Act of 2005 with real citizenship issues
.
1. TITLE II—IMPROVED SECURITY FOR DRIVERS’ LICENSES AND PERSONAL
IDENTIFICATION CARDS
Minimum document requirements:
The person’s date of birth.
Documentation showing the person’s date of birth
***In certain cases of adoption, no birth was recorded hence no birth certificate, census number or certificate of indian blood (CIB) were issued or obtained by the adopting parent(s) One mission of this page is to find solutions to obtaining these documentations with ease between working with State DMV's, State Vital Statistics and Tribal Vital Statistic offices, more so, the latter.***

2. TEMPORARY DRIVERS’ LICENSES AND17 IDENTIFICATION CARDS that expire one year after issuance. 
"(i) IN GENERAL.—If a person presents evidence under any of clauses (v) through (ix) of subparagraph (B), the State may only issue a temporary driver’s license or temporary identification card to the person.
(ii) EXPIRATION DATE.—A temporary driver’s license or temporary identification card issued pursuant to this subparagraph shall be valid only during the period of time of the applicant’s authorized stay in the United States or, if there is no definite end to the period of authorized stay, a period of one year."
*** THIS MEANS ONE YEAR of TEMPORARY State issued ID or Drivers License***
MINE EXPIRES JULY 13, 2011.


Mmmmkay...


Enough about my frustration.
So after I started to rant to my innerself & expressed some of it in print, I decided..I can't, I must press on...forward.


So I looked up the Riverside office of N.A.R.A., National Archives and Records Administration and emailed  people listed there:
Scott Thompson
Susie Bielawski
Michael Kretch
David Piff  
David Drake


Yup...sent them the same letter I'd sent to Eric Bittner at the Denver NARA and the anonymous lady at the Ft Worth NARA who woke me at 6am.


So, hopefully one of those 5 people from the Riverside (actually Perris Ca) office will now call me. Also I updated my geneology.


Something that strengthened my will to perservere was reading my cousins' blog about his family & some of the trials they've gone through (Yup Matt, I did..hope that was okay.) Monday I met with my biological cousin Matt for the very first time. He flew into LA over the weekend and we connected. I was probably way too verbal with him, but who wouldn't be at first contact? Especially with so much information to convey & not knowing how much time I had.
We met at Phillipe's on Alameda just north of Union Station. I would have eaten there but something didn't seem right. So I suggested we go somewhere else...we headed toward Placita Olvera. We talked & sat out in the sun. Felt great to me as I thought it kind of chilly & then realized...THIS DUDE IS FROM NEW YORK...ya dork! He's prolly roasting. OOPS...my fox paw (faux pas). 
We walked a little & I found out he had a son, wife, blog, some of his history. We ended up getting a quick lunch at La Luz de Diaia, a favourite place for me. This is where I realized what didn't seem right about Phillipes, home of the french dip sandwich, Matt ordered vegetarian. WHEW....glad we change locations. We continued to talk. Me more than him. We walked about & poked into La Iglesia de Nuestra Senora Reina De los Angeles (church). We walked up a bit past a movie set...New York taxi cabs of course. I said HI to the retired cop who always is at all the sets downtown. We ended back at Phillipes where Matt had parked. I went back to researching prices at stores for My New Blinds info (electrical for a client just in case) and Matt went on his way. I was a great visit for me, I hope with him as well. 
Anyway, I now have my research mojo back. 


Sorry if my those of you that have read it already didn't see this last part. Honestly I was really frustrated. That's normal, but also part of normalcy is getting back up on that stubborn mule of life & moving forward.
So...wish me luck!


Please FOLLOW my blog and comment, also tell those who can help or need help because we are a community!
Thanks again for reading. I'm looking forward to the next step.


*************UPDATE MARCH 16, 2011 ************



Reply
from David Drake <David.Drake@nara.gov>
to Lee Morrill <lelandpmorrill@gmail.com>,

Gwen Granados <Gwen.Granados@nara.gov>,



date Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 6:26 AM
subject Re: Indian Boarding School Records for Linda Carolyn Kirk born approximately December 17,1943
mailed-by nara.gov
hide details 6:26 AM (1 hour ago)
Dear Mr. Morrill,

I am referring your request to our Archives Director in Riverside, Ms. Gwen Granados. While we have Indian Boarding School records for our region, Oklahoma records would normally be kept by archives in other regions. Ms. Granados will advise you on contacts for further work on your request, and will send your request to the appropriate region for further processing.

Good luck in your inquiries, and I hope that your situation can be resolved to your satisfaction.
  
DAVID D. DRAKE

1 comment:

  1. Genocide of NATIVE AMERICANS:
    TRUTH ABOUT THE INDIAN BOARDING SCHOOLS:
    "The Wellbriety Movement: Journey to Forgiveness"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZwF9NnQbWM

    Leland.

    ReplyDelete