Friday, February 25, 2011

Gratitude to my new found NAVAJO cousin/mom

Gratitude.

Today I am grateful for meeting a biological family member my cousin Cyndy Taylor. We met by chance. If you've already guessed: I'm not much of a shy person when focused toward a goal. Here's the story that starts where the UTAH DMV story ended:

I talked to a representative at the Window Rock Navajo Nation Vital Statistics Office on January 13, 2011. They said to send in anything I had. So, I copied all my documentation and sent copies, certified mail and waited for the delivery confirmation to show up on the U.S. Postal Service website. This is where this exciting adventure continues.

My USPS Receipt
(click on picture to enlarge)

I was having dificulty communicating my ideas to the staff-members at the Window Rock Vital Statistics Office since January 19, 2011. Velma was there intermittently  and took charge of the "mail log" for that location (later I found out she was on sick leave and the mail log had not been updated since December 2009, no January log.)
 I'd sent copies of twenty-two years of research containing health records from 1969-1971, adopted parents birth certificates, adoption final decree,  Arizona "Certificate of No Birth" etc. These had been sent Certified Mail to the Window Rock PO Box for Navajo Vital statistics. the USPS Tracking number indicated my package was delivered on January 19, 2011. Since then and to February 3rd I'd talked to four employee at that office, Velma, Alicia,  and two others. for a few weeks they could not find the yellow manila envelope that contained my information. One of the ladies even read off all the mail received and sitting unopened in a cabinet for the month of January 2011.

Finally, I could no longer stay on my cellphone without saying something I'd regret. I said something to the effect: "Thank you for reading those off."
I verified there was no January 2011 mail log and Velma took charge of the mail and mail-log. Yes I was frustrated, not the first time though. On a previous occasion  with visits to a Salt Lake City D.M.V., I had the help of a Utah Senator, Utah Director of Indian Affairs and Director of the Utah D.M.V. So, I'm thinking, why would it hurt to call the President of the Navajo Nation? At the time President Joe Shirley Jr was still listed on Wikipedia as the President but on the Navajo Nation Website, it showed President Ben Shelly. The date is now February 03, 2011.

So I look up the phone number and called. I talk to a gentleman for a while about my difficulties with the Window Rock Vital Statistics Office.  He then says: You should talk to someone else here and "Would you hold please?"
Cyndy Taylor from Navajo Nation Office of the President Constituent Services Unit answered the phone. I tell her my predicament asking to email her, she says due to the new (Navajo Nation) Administration (change in Presidency) they are setting up a new office. She asks me to fax her so I do. We talk again later. I tell her I was born Leland Kirk and about my Aunt Ruth and Uncle John in Ganado, and blather on (it's kind of my thing to blather on...blah blah blah)

Somewhat long pause, then:
Cyndy says something to the affect that we might be related. We figure out we are biological cousins. Yeah...surreal and amazing, how do you express this in words?!?
Here I call a phone number to talk to the top mucky mucky the Navajo Nation President's number and then discover a cousin? Way cool, beyond words.
So she says well, you should call Gertrude "Trudy" at the Fort Defiance Vital Statistics Office.  I do and tell her about my difficult experience with the Window Rock office. She then tells me Velma has been on sick leave and she'll see what she can do. So, Trudy starts her magic. I report back to Cyndy and then the phone tag begins with Trudy until February 10, 2011 with intermittent calls to the Window Rock office and at this point I'm updating Cyndy as well.

Alicia calls me back from the Window Rock Office around noon on February 10, 2011 to say she has had my documents and will send my applications for the C.I.B. (Certificate of Indian Blood) and some other form in the mail that day. Once those documents are sent back in, they are presented to a "committee" yet to be appointed by the new incoming Navajo Nation President Ben Shelly. I tell her I'm going to talk to Trudy and Cyndy so they're aware...communication.

Alisia was true to her word. The letter she sent was dated February 10, 2011 but curiously the envelope was dated February 22, 2011 and post-stamped from Albuquerque NM. The main point is, I'm one step closer, with visibility.

So, yes, I'm grateful and thankful to Cyndy, my new found biological cousin who, in proper Navajo Tradition, assumed the title "mom". I think it's encompassing, and very familial. It was nice of her to assume it and I am complimented by it.

Cyndy has since told me some about the Kirk Family. I have a cousin Calvin Kirk who is the son of the late John Kirk and Ruthie (Shirley) Kirk.
 "Calvin distinctively remembers you and said the late Linda Kirk is your biological mom."
WOW, great and She then says:
"I've asked him if he could contact u on facebook and talk with Ruthie Kirk re: the issue. Please keep me informed too. Have a good weekend. Mom"
DOUBLE WOWZERS!!
Processing processing processing....KEWL!

So, Cyndy has been an immense help, stress reducer and has well earned the title "mom" for her tireless assistance. We've messaged each other while she had a cold, wasn't feeling well but she still maintained communication.
Receiving the letter from Alisia from the Window Rock Navajo Nation Vital Statistics office in yesterday's (February 24, 2011) 5pm mail was one more step forward.
Very cool. I'm honored to know Cyndy Taylor, mom.
So this blog post is dedicated to Cyndy Taylor my cousin, mom and an "angel" who was at the right place at the right time for me.
I am grateful.

Special Note to others:
You never know who you will meet along your journey in life. I was stunned to find a cousin/mom so quickly and a relative who would help me as fervently as Cyndy. This is fortunate, I am thankful and grateful. So, as you other Adopted Native Americans (and other readers) continue on this journey, through all it's bumps and grinds, frustrations, elations, excitements, opening new doors: remember there are those who will help, if you ask, and if you put it out there.
TGIF ALL- Leland P. Morrill

No comments:

Post a Comment