Friday, February 25, 2011

UTAH DMV Evil or Good? You tell me...I'm Illegal...or not. I'm NAVAJO!


INSIDE: Salt Lake Fair Park Office DMV
(click on picture to enlarge)

I went to the Salt Lake Fair Park Office Tuesday January 11, 2011. Because of the new The REAL ID ACT of 2005  Law that took effect a year ago I have to prove my birth, well I'd been working on this and then my "temporary" 6 month State issued Drivers License expired. I came back to Salt Lake Fair Park Office to renew and (the supervisor) "JOYCE" was at the entrance counter denying people left and right.

The Fair Park DMV has a high minority population it services, I saw this disparity. I thought to myself: "I hope I don't get that lady!" Sure enough, after she denied the lady in front of me her print-out from the local Social Security Office as one proof of residency I knew I might have a problem. A print-out from the Social Security office used to be valid, especially in the case where one lost their wallet and might have to wait weeks for that department to send a new card in the mail.

My turn at the "entrance" counter with "JOYCE" (NOTE: I didn't know her name yet nor that she was a supervisor). I've been trying to obtain a State issued Birth Certificate but being born on a Navajo Reservation without documentation of the birth, it's been difficult. I had several different documents I knew wouldn't work but a previous supervisor said as long as I'd bring those in they'd renew my Utah Drivers License for an additional temporary period of 6 months.
This lady, Joyce (later found to be a supervisor) looked at me at my documents, said: "I want to see evidence you've talked with the Arizona Vital Statistics." I pulled out an Arizona "birth certificate" receipt. She then told me that's all she wanted to see. I attempted to show her more but then she said "Are you trying to create trouble?" I said no, but that I had more documents. She then gave me a numbered ticket (like you get at butcher counter), told me to go wait for my number to be called, which I did. As soon as my number was called I went to that DMV Clerk Counter. I started talking to the clerk. Out of the corner of my eye saw Joyce come round. She stood directly behind the clerk. She then said I was creating trouble and to extend my Utah Drivers License ONE MONTH ONLY. The clerk gave me a "What did you do?" look and Joyce watched his every move from behind, keystrokes and screen as he printed out my one month paper temporary Utah Drivers License Extension.

I left, somewhat disappointed and VERY FRUSTRATED wondering who to call. Well my friend JIM had some connections so, on the cellphone I called. He agreed to meet with me and we met at the Gateway Mall. I also met his brother Joe. Between the two of them , they called (D) Utah Senator Gene Davis, told him of my plight. He called Forrest Cutch, UT Director of Indian Affairs who called Nannette Rolfe, Director of UT D.M.V. and her staff personnel called me. By then we were at JIM's office in Murray. The next day (Wednesday) I was told my Utah D.M.V. contact was Jill Laws. I called and told her the above. She had me fax my documents to her. She then arranged for me to speak to another Utah D.M.V. supervisor "JOHN" at the same Salt Lake Fair Park Office D.M.V. Thursday Jan 13, 2011 I went in again at 7a.m. John helped me along with a clerk and I received my 6 month paper Drivers License Extension. He also scanned my documents as per Jill Laws. Once finished, I left but not before pointing out my Joyce (the supervisor).

I tell my account because:
  1. The DMV needs to know there are variances that were overlooked by THE REAL ID ACT of 2005. and also this  may help other Native Americans/Illegal/ and others understand they are not the only ones who are mistreated at State DMV's.
  2. I never knew there was a Navajo Nation Vital Statistics Office, Forrest Cutch told me and how to contact them. 
  3. H.R. 418: THE REAL ID ACT of 2005 requires proof of U.S. Citizenship, I am Navajo, native american without a birth certificate bc my birth wasn't recorded BUT I was adopted through the Navajo Nation Childrens Court, have numerous Indian Hospital records showing my birth and proof of indian blood (100%), my Navajo Nation Final Decree of Adoption. THESE ARE NOT STATE ISSUED, so they do not count as proof of U.S. citizenship/lawful presence.
If anyone ever run across Native Americans having a problem:

  1. The  State D.M.V. may not know about a Native American Vital Statistics and H.R. 418: THE REAL ID ACT of 2005 does not refer back to Native Americans and their resources.
  2. Native Americans may not know that the State may have a Director of Indian Affairs to assist with supplying documentation toward getting an "Indian" census card or "Tribal" birth certificate/record.  I hope this information helps others & that it helps pave a path for Native Americans in EVERY United State of America.

Remember you cannot do this on your own, here are the names of some people who helped me:

Forrest Cutch Director, Utah Division of Indian Affairs

Nannette Rolfe, Director, Utah Department of Public Safety Drivers License Division P.O. Box 144501. Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4501
nrolfe@utah.gov

Jill Laws Utah Department of Public Safety Drivers License Division
Phone 801-964-3369
Fax 801-964-4482

NOTE: a special thanks goes to my friend JIM: James A. Gonzales of Salt Lake, who's political connections helped me with this process.
DMV Supervisor JOYCE wrote:
"Extend for one month only"
in the "Examiner Notes and Completed Date Stamp" box.
Attached are the two "tickets" for my "visits" to the UTAH DMV Fair Park Office.
(click on picture to enlarge)

*If you would like to contribute, have vital information that will help, please email lelandpmorrill@gmail.com using the subject line:Adoption: Leland Kirk

2 comments:

  1. Hi. Last month I went into the Fairpark Office to renew my license and was completely bullied by Joyce and John. I've gone online and found other people that have been bullied by them for various reasons. It might be time to start a class action law suit against these two...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry "Anonymous" that you went through that with Joyce and John. Joyce should have known better. I also have a Facebook Page:
      Adopted Native American Citizenship Affected by The REAL ID Act of 2005.
      I use that more. BUT that being said PLEASE CALL NANNETTE ROLF or JILL LAWS ...Jill helped me and met with me at the Fairpark Office.
      Don't be shy, it's your right. Also, call your senator.
      Here are Nannette and Jills numbers:
      Nannette Rolf: Director of Utah Drivers License Division 801-965-4571
      Jill Laws Department of Public Safety Drivers License Division 801-964-4482/Fax 801-964-4482

      Here's the link to my Facebookpage note:
      https://www.facebook.com/notes/adopted-native-american-citizenship-affected-by-the-real-id-act-of-2005/utah-dmv-evil-or-good-you-tell-meim-illegalor-not-im-navajo/165603423489450

      Delete