Thursday, February 24, 2011

I may be ILLEGAL and NAVAJO! My Researching, up until January 2011.

My name is Leland Morrill I was adopted through the Navajo Nation to anglo parents on July 15,1971 without a birth certificate, Navajo Census Number, Certificate of Indian Blood. Before the H. R. 418 Real ID Act of 2005 I used my LDS baptism record and adoption papers as evidence of my existence. These documents no longer qualify under  H.R. 418 The Real ID Act of 2005. Twenty-two years ago I started my quest to obtain a birth certificate Now on July 13, 2011 I will become an illegal alien. I was born in the United States.

How did this occur?
My (adopted) parents were living in Chinle Arizona, in a little red house...close to the LDS chapel. Due a transfer with the LDS Church (MORMON) to Canada my adoption occurred and was quickly finalized through the Trial Court of the Navajo Tribe; Judicial District of Chinle Arizona on July15, 1971. My new anglo family and I  moved to Burford Ontario Canada the next day, July 16, 1971.

(click on picture to enlarge)

Now what happened was my anglo adopted parents did apply for a Birth Certificate in 1971 but the Navajo Tribe never issued one. (updated per February 25.2011 8:00 am conversation with Alisia from Window Rock Vital Records and my verifying this with my mother, Gwena Morrill). The Navajo Nation adopted me out of the tribe on July 15, 1971 through their Trial Court of the Navajo Tribe, Judicial District of Chinle Arizona without a Birth Certificate,  Navajo Census Number or Navajo Certificate of Indian Blood. 

Around the time I went off to college, Brigham Young University, I found out that I did not have a birth certificate. At the time this was not a problem because laws were more lenient. I used my Church (L.D.S.) Baptism Certificate and my Adoption Papers to get a Utah State issued Drivers License and Identification card. I started my research by visiting the Gallup Indian Medical Center on September 7, 1989 and obtained medical records dated from 1969-1971.
More time went by. I made some feeble attempts at obtaining more information but this wasn't needed as my baptism record and adoption papers sufficed.

Speed up the clock to December 2009, I'm in Los Angeles looking for a job riding the 720 Rapid Bus, unemployed. I was on a budget and had gone shopping at the 99 Cent Only Store to save money on groceries. I had also downsized to a more efficient apartment from beautiful Los Feliz to an "up and coming" Downtown L.A. apartment. While exiting the 720 Rapid Bus, someone pick-pocketed my wallet. I didn't know this until I get home and emptied my pockets. I retraced my steps numerous times, even went so far as to contact METRO Lost and Found several times and the Los Angeles Downtown Security Office, to no avail.

So, knowing my identification is Utah issued,  I go back to Utah in January 2010 just to find out the new law of the land started January 01, 2010 called The Real ID Act of 2005.  I now am required to have a State Issued Birth Certificate or Navajo (tribal) Census Number. Well, now I have to figure that out. So back to Cali I go to figure out how to do this, unaware, I am now classified as an Illegal Alien. In May of 2010 I go back to the Utah D.M.V. Fair Park Office and get a "temporary" paper Utah State issued 6 month Drivers License.
I had started to send send out information to New Mexico Vital Statistics and Arizona Vital Statistics as now I don't know where I was actually born. I  was "told" my birthplace was Albuquerque, New Mexico. My PHS Health clinical records say Fort Defiance, Arizona. So I send application fees to both Arizona and New Mexico. Nothing from New Mexico.  I pursued Arizona.
I had to send them an additional amount around October 2010 because their State Office of Vital Statistics "lost" my documentation even though we now have a half year of communicating by telephone and email. FRUSTRATION. So, I send in more money to Arizona Vital Statistics...guess what I get back in return?!?
A State of Arizona Certificate of No Birth Record. Dated December 21, 2010

(click on picture to enlarge)

OK so now my Utah State issued 6 month "temporary" Drivers License has now expired. Back to Utah in January 2011...
NEW BLOG ENTRY about the Utah D.M.V. It's JUICY...you'll love it!

*If you would like to contribute, have vital information that will help, please email lelandpmorrill@gmail.com using the subject line:Adoption: Leland Kirk

No comments:

Post a Comment