Thursday, February 24, 2011

A little about me this Blog and Facebook Page founder & reasons WHY

I am the founder of the Facebook Page "Adopted Native American Citizenship Affected by The REAL ID Act of 2005"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Adopted-Native-American-Citizenship-Affected-by-The-REAL-ID-Act-of-2005/165349256848200

 I am affected by the REAL ID ACT OF 2005, specifically:

H. R. 418 (Real ID Act of 2005)
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-109hr418rfs/pdf/BILLS-109hr418rfs.pdf
Pages 42 through 48 cover my predicament:

(pg 42) TITLE II—IMPROVED SECURITY FOR DRIVERS’ LICENSES AND PERSONAL
IDENTIFICATION CARDS
(pg 43) Minimum document requirements:
(pg 44) (2) The person’s date of birth.
(pg 45) (B) Documentation showing the person’s date of birth
Page 46:
(C) TEMPORARY DRIVERS’ LICENSES AND17 IDENTIFICATION CARDS
(i) IN GENERAL.—If a person presents evidence under any of clauses (v)
through (ix) of subparagraph (B), the State may only issue a temporary
driver’s license or temporary identification card to the person.
(ii) EXPIRATION DATE.—A temporary driver’s license or temporary
identification card issued pursuant to this subparagraph shall be
valid only during the period of time of the applicant’s authorized
stay in the United States or, if there is no definite end to the
period of authorized stay, a period of one year.

Now just a brief history and what I've done up til now, and then what I need:

I was adopted out of the Navajo Nation on July 15, 1971. The day after we moved to Canada as my new Anglo parents, Stan and Gwena Morrill, were transferred. They never obtained a Census Number or CIB. They did attempt to contact the Navajo Tribe to obtain a  Birth Certificate for me but The Tribal Court system for reason only known to them never granted one. The Trial Court of The Navajo Tribe, Judicial DIstrict of Chinle, Arizona adopted me out of their tribe without a Birth Certificate, Certificate of Indian Blood or Census Number (see my adoption paper on another note)
I have spent tens of thousands of dollars and huge amounts of hours throughout the past 22 years attempting to get the necessary documents to obtain even the smallest amount of infomation to fulfill the C.I.B. (Certificate of Indian Blood), Birth Certificate and Census Number requirements. My official first document is dated September 07, 1989

Until January 13, 2011, I never knew the Navajo Nation had it's own Vital Statistics and had been working with New Mexico and Arizona Vital Statistics to finally obtain an Arizona State issued Birth Certificate only to be issued a "Certificate of No Birth" dated December 21, 2010 with my adopted anglo mothers name on it.
Had I known there was a Navajo Vital Statistics, I would have not wasted 12 months of legal, emails, letters, telephone calls to the State of Arizona Vital Statistics but instead turned to the Navajo Nation Vital Statistics.

I  have been working with Alicia at the Window Rock Agency Navajo Nation Vital Statistics Office. The progress is snail-pacing-ly slow. I have talked to three other employees RuthAnn, Velma and Florinda in addition to talking to Gertrude "Trudy" at the Fort Defiance Navajo Nation Vital Statistics office. For the Window Rock office to document/log and look at mail took 3 weeks. A promise to send me the C.I.B. form took 2+ weeks. FINALLY, February 24,2011 after many weeks I get the letter Dated: February 10, 2011 mailed from a  PO Box 3240 in Window Rock. The envelope is stamped "Albuquerque NM 871" dated "22 Feb 2011 PM 1T"
OK, the point is I got it finally from Alisia Milford. A belated thank you Alisia.

SHOCK AND AWE- I do not have anything close to the amount of information needed for the enclosed documents.

  • Navajo Nation Application for Membership and
  • Navajo Nation Application for Services.

Alisia was supposed to send me a C.I.B. or "Certificate of Indian Blood" But would it be too easy to look up online?!? Of course, Silly me:
http://www.atsu.edu/orgs/said/ONNSFA_Request%20for%20CIB.pdf

What I do have are PHS IH Hospital Records, Final Judgement of Adoption form the Trial Court of the Navajo Tribe, Judicial District of Chinle,Arizona  in my possession.  All scanned, a collection of 22, yes twenty two years of research to now use for a C.I.B.

I know there are others with my predicament out there who were adopted out of their native tribes without proper documentation that H.R. 418 The Real ID Act of 2005 will soon affect their U.S. Citizenship.
I started this Blog in part because I didn't know how to activate the Facebook App for NOTES. My friend Rick Bickmore has since activated that, Thank you Rick. Again, I cannot do this all alone and am grateful for all the friends and people who have helped along my journey.
(click on picture to enlarge)

I started the Facebook Page "Adopted Native American Citizenship Affected by The REAL ID Act of 2005" to help me, and other Adopted Native Americans find their way back to their respective tribes. I know I can't do it by myself. I need funds. I need time. I need resources.  I'm sure that will come as my situation and others behind me will soon need more resources. I would like to be the first to obtain some type of funding because IT'S EXPENSIVE to hire attorneys, legal help, endless phone-calls, letter writing. AND RESEARCH, who pays for that? You guessed it.ME

*If you would like to contribute, have vital information that will help, please email lelandpmorrill@gmail.com using the subject line:Adoption: Leland Kirk

No comments:

Post a Comment