Friday, April 15, 2011

SUCCESS! TGIF, Gratitude Friday message & the reason I played hooky today...LMAO!


by Leland P. Morrill Adopted Native American Citizenship Affected by The REAL ID Act of 2005 on Friday, April 15, 2011 at 11:20pm

Good morning peeps. Sorry the Friday posting is late, it was in the 80's here in LA...I played hooky.
here's a pic of me playing hookey:
Yup, I played hooky.
Pacific Palisades California...it was 80+ degrees & Friday.
YUP-sleeping away on tha beach.

GREAT NEWS WWWpeeps: I received my Navajo Nation Affidavit of Birth and Certificate of Navajo Indian Blood in Thursday's noon mail!  YAY!
Success...well on the Navajo Nation Side,
Now to work on the US Side with the State of Arizona.
Wow. Now what will I do with the time I dedicated to obtaining these? 22 years of research, 40 years after my adopted mother sent in an application for my birth certificate, 40 years after my adoption without any documentation except the NN Final Judgement of Adoption linking me to the Navajo Nation. 

First off, GRATEFUL FRIDAY:
I can-not claim full credit by myself, many people helped, in no specific order...kinda random order?!?
  • Troy, my best friend of 26 years who's been my sounding board, heard all my frustrations, triumphs, shared 3am 4am 5am brainstorming sessions
  • Jim, who in my frustration introduced me to "powerful" politicians who were able to work from the "top" down and assist, when my path had been blocked by Utah DMV employees.
  • Uncle Bob and Aunt Ruth, my biological uncle & his wife who called the NN Vital Statistics, I'm sure numerous times (must be a "KIRK" trait), submitted a notorized statement, verbally told me where to look (ie...St Michaels, remember?) and <blush> walked through a cemetary looking for Linda Carolyn Kirk, my biological mothers grave, without success but still kept suggesting "next" ideas.
  • "mom"/cousin Cyndy Taylor, who suggested names & numbers of NN officials from the "top" down and also helped me follow up and continuously checked up on my progress.
  • My adopted mother Gwena, who during my frustration provided an emailed statement of events leading up to my adoption and when pressed for more info, provided the Albuquerque connection of St Anthony's Orphanage, and also copies of hers &my adopted dads birth certificates to prove to NN Vital Statistics & Utah DMV offices.
  • Sarah, who suggested I start a blog/Facebook page to publicly share & create an online buzz about my story.
  • Rick, for helping me set up my Facebook page...it was my first so, I had no idea how to do certain things & his talents helped greatly in what you see and are able to do on this page.
  • Scott at the Arizona Vital Statistics for the years of conversations/emails sharing my frustrations over lack of info and attempting to help in "unchartered territory"
  • The Staff at Navajo Nation Vital Statistics: Alisia, Leonard, Trudy, Velma, Florinda, and RuthAnn for their patience with me...I had a deadline of July 13, 2011 thanks to THE REAL ID ACT of 2005
  • Public Officials: Senator Gene Davis, Forrest Cuch-former Director of Indian Affairs, Jill Laws-Utah DMV-Drivers License Division,  Chai Feldblum-Commissioner, U.S. EEOC.
  • Gwen Granados of the Perris California US National Archives
THERE ARE SO MANY MORE!!!!

To my "official family" of friends both from Utah and California who gave me the strength when I faltered and felt like quiting the gazilion times I got back on my stubborn mule'd path & kept going. Especially after hearing all my frustrations, sometimes that was all they heard...yikes, I am grateful because I am almost there!!!

I have to now submit my info to the State of Arizona Vital Statistics, take the California DMV drivers test, finish changing my info with the Social Security Administration, etc.
Yea...still just the few details to tie up.

WWWpeeps...thanks for reading my story. PLEASE SHARE my story with those who need that extra push, that encouragement, that idea, that extra something they can't think of but you can help with.
NOW, it's about others, mine is a success story, I want others to enjoy the elation of success. Knowing they belong.
I am starting at 8am Saturday April 16, 2011 volunteering at a Citizenship Worshop in East LA!

***Please read my previous notes, LIKE my page, and SHARE!!!***



Official PayPal Seal

No comments:

Post a Comment