Friday, April 1, 2011

Am I a FOOL for doing a Gratitude Friday today?!? You tell me...LOL

by Leland P. Morrill Adopted Native American Citizenship Affected by The REAL ID Act of 2005 on Friday, April 1, 2011 at 6:19pm

It's Gratitude Friday
I'm struggling with this one because it wasn't my best of weeks. 
First I'm going off topic, just facebooked my cousin Ryan who is in Iraq fighting for our freedom. To him THANK YOU. He is the son of my Aunt Kaye, my adopted father Stan Morrill's younger sister. That was the highlight of my day.

Second, my friend Troy who I leaned on heavily this week. Troy has been a great friend for 26+ years, He's heard  every triumph, struggle, brainstorm and witnessed the progress of my family research. He also witnessed this week a company failed that other partners, my parents and I invested in a few years ago & had promoted. Tuesday the  doors of that company closed. It was a short walk away from my adopted parents' home...actually about a mile, but close enough to walk given you have a luxury called time. Troy also has helped me cope with other family business difficulties, during our current Depression, by being a sounding board, talking about life and moving forward. I hope everyone of you have found great frends to turn to during life's ups and downs. Thanks Troy
My friend Troy (right) and I at the openning of the Mike O'Callaghan – Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge above Hoover Dam
Third, family both adopted and biological. My adopted sister Ginny (born Virginia Bitsui) and I last night spent about 3 hours on the phone & computer together. She lives in Magna Utah and I live in Los Angeles, California. She recounted her re-aquaintance with the Bitsui family, how her sister works for a hospital in Chinle, where they live, family dynamics, her struggle with understanding the culture and her want to learn Navajo and perhaps attending the "Navajo College".  We spent the majority of the three hours virtually "driving" through Chinle recounting childhood memories as foster children to the Morrills. From 1969 ot 1971 we lived behind the old LDS/Mormon Church close to Navajo Blvd & Indian Route 27. The hill behind the old church was our playground. My sister and I also virtually "drove" around Chinle up by the Hospital on Indian Route 102 and close to Chief Manuelito Blvd, up and down the Highway 191 past the new LDS/Mormon Church, the Shell Gas Station, A&W, Burger King & shopping center up north of Chinle where her natural family lives. We had alot of fun. It was great hearing her story that dated from 1992 until just a few years ago when she went to her nieces wedding in a hogan north of Chinle.
My sister I was adopted with on July 15, 1971 Ginny and I. Her biological family is the Bitsui's from the Chinle area.
My biological Uncle Bob also gave his word to write out and notorize a statement on my behalf to the Navajo Nation Office of Vital Statistics. He and my Aunt Ruth called me "conference call" and talked. I talked to my adopted mom today & she said she would do the same.
So, even though it seems like my private & professional life has plummeted as far as it can go, there still is a beacon of light, HOPE...and a ton of gratitude.

Thank you friends, family, fellow researchers, WWWpeeps for all the great info, for reading and especially to those who are there for me in my darkest hour before the dawn.
I feel loved and and extremely grateful.- Leland
__________________________________________________________________________


An update of my research. As you know I was adopted out of the Navajo Nation in 1971 with my sister Ginny. She was documented, I was not. I have had to struggle to figure out how to survive these past few years with on&off temporary State issued identification papers.  Not the plastic State issued ID/Drivers license but paper...like the ones you copy to. Here's what I always carry with me, a copy of my adoption papers & my paper ID in this black case.
YUP I carry this case with my adoption papers in it and my paper ID card just in case.
Try taking that to your job interview or favourite dance hall, bowling alley, venue, airport, bank, credit union or store..a paper id is not treated the same, very much second class. I can tell you from experience, no-one accepts it at first & you have to explain to them and point out that the paper temporary ID is really valid & then I back it up with a copy of my adoption papers. This is a loophole, a disparity when one is  adopted without a Navajo census number, certificate of indian blood or birth certificate, post REAL ID ACT of 2005 enacted January 01, 2010.
virtual driving along Window Rock Blvd today...Google Style
As you know the Window Rock Navajo Nation Vital Statistics Office was closed Monday Tuesday and Wednesday this  week so the wait was long to call back. I emailed Leonard Benally March 31 at 8:10am notifying him to expect a notorized affidavit from my Uncle Bob. I called in the afternoon just before 3pm. Leonard Benally and Alisia Milford were not in and Marge was acting Manager of the Window Rock Vital Statistics Office. We talked for a very long while she knew a Virgil Kirk who was born in 1923 talked about a Carolyn Kirk who is a Judge and several other Kirks. We also went over some of my research  verbally again & she checked some of my research. She said she would call Leonard tomorrow (Friday).

Today is Friday! TGIF!!
I called Leonard Benally and he hasn't received my Uncle Bob's notorized affidavit. Not too surprising because I've had problems with this office recieving mail before. Oddly enough Velma (keeper of the mail log) was there, she must be back from sick leave, now that I think of it, shoulda talked to her.  Anyhow we talked and I also told him I was going to a conference on April 8-9, 2011...next Friday and Saturday at UCLA School of Law. 

Robert Groves, Director of the U.S. Census, is scheduled to speak Saturday & also in attendance will be Chief Justice 
Alex Kozinski, Congresswoman Judy Chu and former Rep. Patrick Murphy from Pennsylvania who I met in March 2011.  I'm definately bringing my documentation and furthering my cause, intending to make an impression with them problems the Real ID Act of 2005 is inflicting on undocumented adopted Native Americans.
So, kids...next Friday the "Gratitude Friday" may be delayed until late Saturday evening....after I digest information shared through the conference.

Please LIKE my page. Please comment or make suggestions if you'd like! Thank you for reading!!  Leland P. Morrill

No comments:

Post a Comment