Friday, May 20, 2011

Wouldn't you know, just as I'm finalizing documentation it's THE END OF THE WORLD!!! EEEEK!!!!


by Leland P. Morrill
Adopted Native American Citizenship Affected by The REAL ID Act of 2005 on Friday, May 20, 2011 at 11:29pm
Just kidding! LMAO.

This week was rather tumultous. Even though I now have a plastic California Identification Card, I still did not have my Drivers License. Tuesday May 17, 2011 I went to the California DMV down by USC on Hope Street and waited in line. While in line, I read the entire Drivers License Manual. I had arrived around 12:30 p.m. thinking that would be enough time to get in to take the test, by 4:00 p.m. I was getting worried that the cut off time had passed. NOT SO! I made it by minutes, 4:25 p.m. I took my mugshot, forgot to pose like I'd been trained to for media events so my picture was less than what I wanted but still it's my mug.

Wouldn't you know, just as I was entering the testing area, my cellphone rings! My little brother Shaun. LOL. Well, he didn't know, but immediately I saw the NO CELLPHONES sign. After turning off my phone the DMV person yelled: "NO CELLPHONES!!! TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE!" I immediately stated I didn't even know it was on, which I really didn't. I then took the multiple "guess" test quickly and was done in 10 minutes. Hmmmm yup, so I rechecked my answers thinking it couldn't be that easy and I sure didn't want to fail so I rechecked one more time, I handed in my test and then had to prove I had a previous drivers license. I pulled out that worthless paper copy the Utah DMV Fairpark asked for & immediatlely the DMV Tester said "I can't accept that"

My old Utah paper Temporary Drivers License. It's worthless to the California DMV and as an ID "card" No one accepts it!

Well, I kind of knew it and started to plead my case. He listened, thought about it and said, well you passed but I can't accept that. Talk to a supervisor downstairs at window 21.
Window 21 wasn't labeled so I immediately asked as it was now about 5:00 p.m., closing time. I got a supervisor around 5:15 p.m. Same story, but she said Utah DMV could send a clearance letter. So I immediately called Nanette Rolfe's cellphone number. Nanette is the Utah Department of Public Safety Drivers License Division Director and left a message. I did the same on her work phone number and also called Jill Laws' work phone number and left a message. Jill is the Deputy Director of the Utah Drivers License Division.

I was really upset because here I'd paid the fee, passed the test and one more hurdle. Then my little brother texted me and I sent back a "bitchy" text: "What do you want?" Actually it was uncalled for but I hadn't blown off steam yet and he was an immediate recipient. Funny how sometimes you lash back at those who you love the most. Sorry Shaun, if you reading this. Anyway, he called me on it in his colorful language via text & made me laugh but I was still mad.

I finally talked to him, Still upset and he offered to help. That's what I found so amazing. Sometimes people ask to help you. I knew I needed to scan my CIB, Certificate of Indian Blood, and Brith Affidavit and sent those off in an email as a PDF to Nanette and Jill so off I went to FedEx/Kinkos. Guess who was working? Jesus...of course! He actually helped me quite a bit because the scanner jammed up, my USB flash drive wasn't recognized by their computer, so we sent it to my email. I also sent it to Shaun and my best friend Troy just in case. I've learned to sometimes overcompensate and send files to multiple people and myself for an electronic timestamp.

I actually didn't know Jills email address but knew Nanettes. So, I kind of guessed it. Good thing because Jill called me as I was working out a housing issue the next morning, Wednesday May 18, 2011. Jill said she faxed the California DMV the clearance letter and also sent me a PDF just in case. She knows my style. Very cool.

Utah DMV Clearance Letter...Thanks Jill for sending it so quickly!!

After a meeting with housing off to the DMV I went. Upon arrival, they had my paperwork ready. Whatever it was Jill sent, it got their attention. THANKS JILL! I now have an Interim Drivers License issued by California DMV, now awaiting the plastic card.

YAY. My California Interim Drivers License.

I've also now applied for two jobs with the Torres Martinez Desert Cahilla Indian Tribe. Both position required a California Drivers License, I'm hoping to get one of them. Cynthia at the Wilshire office here in Los Angeles gave me an application and an internal job posting list of positions she thought I'd be qualified for once the drivers license was issued. So cross your fingers and toes people! I need a job just like everyone else!

I do have to thank Shaun, my little brother for asking to help and being a sounding board about my frustrations. My friend Troy has also heard my frustrations and concerns. Troy has been through the entire twenty two years of my research. To him, for being a sounding board, suggesting things I'd never think of, and just plain being a good friend, which says alot about his good character, patience, and level of friendship. Thanks Troy!

Also, later, Shaun called me to tell me there is a girl here in North Hollywood, a daughter of a client, who is Cherokee and going through the same Real ID Act of 2005 documentation nightmare I am now exiting. Shaun asked me if I'd help her. OF COURSE!
So, if your reading this, call me! Oh, and your mother Robin has my phone number. Just sayin. I'm here, and have plenty of fresh knowledge and willing to help.

Thank you all for reading my entry/blog. This has been a great diary and I've had to refer to it during telephone calls to tell the Navajo Nation Vital Statistics office, The National Archives, Navajo Relatives, The Arizona Vital Statistics Office of my progress. Blogging and also creating an online pedigree chart accessable by any computer has literally saved many a conversation and aided in defending my cause and helping me move forward. So, if you are in this process, please write down everything because, you can always refer back to it!

Also, please LIKE my Facebook Page. READ my notes. Remember, this blog contains just my notes and has a PayPal feature where you can donate :)
This process is greater than just me and others will need help. Perhaps this can be a way to assist others and once I get myself back onto my financial feet will be able to set up a nonprofit to help others.

You may notice, I also will have EBAY items up for sale on my Facebook Page. Feel free to purchase those items as well.

Above all, This is now to help others. If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, ideas for me to write about pertaining to The Real ID Act of 2005, Certificate of Indian Blood, Native Affidavit of Birth...PLEASE, suggest! I welcome it!

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment